Tuesday, April 28, 2015

May Undergraduate Student of the Month: Daniel Riveros

Name: Daniel Riveras 
Major: GIS
Minor: Astronomy
What are your interests within the program(s)? 
I’m primarily interested in programming related to GIS.  There are many interesting applications and it offers great flexibility to explore different aspects from front end to back end. I also enjoy cartographic design.
What previous jobs, internships, and volunteer experience have you had?
I have not previously had GIS or geography related experiences.

Internship:
1) Where you are interning?
I’m currently interning at NOAA with the Office of Coastal Survey.
2) What are your internship responsibilities? 
I am responsible for digitizing Area of Interests for documents within DREG database and performing quality control.
3) What project(s) are you working on or contributing to?
OCS is making a transition to spatially visualize data within the database used to carry out tasks and provide general reference, thus allowing for better workflows.
4) How is the internship experience relevant to your studies in Geographical Sciences?
The experience has showed me real world examples of how visualization of data can improve work.  I have also been able to utilize skills learned in class that are related to my interests in cartography.
5) What are your career goals after your graduate?
After I graduate I hope to use the combination of my skills in programming and GIS to help develop interesting projects.