Monday, February 2, 2015

February Alumni of the Month

Name: Shelby Jones
Year of graduation: May 2014
Major: Geographical Sciences

Did you/do you attend graduate school? If so:
  • School: University of Maryland, College Park
  • Program: Master’s Certificate Program
  • Degree: Social studies secondary education
Current Research (if any):
The only research I am currently involved in is my own action research. I am conducting my research on student motivation and engagement.
Why did you want to be a GEOG/GIS/ENSP major?
I wanted to be a GEOG major because I have always been curious about the world. I knew I wanted to teach and loved learning about new places and people. When I thought about having the most exciting classroom in the future, I knew geography would be it. The coupling of education and geographical sciences was a perfect fit for me.
Which internships or independent research did you do as a GEOG/GIS/ENSP major?
As a GEOG major, I never completed any internships. However, I completed student teaching internships in Prince George’s and Howard Counties. These internships allowed me to use the information I was learning in my geography classes practically in the teaching field.
What recommendations would you make to current GEOG/GIS/ENSP majors for career and academic success while they are still undergraduates?
I would tell them to do as many internships as possible. It truly is all about the people you know and the connections you make. The sooner you can make connections and the more you can make, the better off you are once you get out there. Networking is key!
Secondly, I would tell them to travel or study abroad. You may never get the chance to travel like you do in college. It’s one thing to learn about it in the classroom, but it’s another to get out and live it. 
What recommendations would you make to current GEOG/GIS/ENSP majors for career and academic success after graduation?
I would recommend choosing a career that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning. It’s important to make enough money to be comfortable, but happiness is priceless.
Secondly, I would recommend looking into graduate schools across the globe.