Thursday, October 1, 2015

October Undergraduate of the Month: Christopher Vaillancourt

Christopher Vaillancourt
1) What major(s), minors, and/or certificates you are working on at UMD?
I am currently working on a major in GIS and Computer Cartography, with a minor in General Business and Philosophy.
2) What are your interests within your program(s)?
I'm extremely interested in LiDAR and 3-D modeling.
3) What previous jobs, internships, and volunteer experience have you had?
I'm currently a GIS intern at the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) where I've been since this past summer. I'm also a brother and executive board member of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity, where I have helped coordinate and lead a variety of service projects that take place both on campus and in the D.C. metropolitan area.
4) Where you are from (optional)?
White Hall, Maryland
Internship:
1) Where you are interning?
The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START), where I have been since this past summer.
2) What are your internship responsibilities?
As a GIS intern at START, I'm responsible for aiding in the research and analysis of terrorist and extremist activities that take place all over the world. At START I'm a part of a larger GIS team who, as a whole, works on a variety of projects that incorporate research and data gathered by other teams at START.
3) What project(s) are you working on or contributing to?
Currently I am working on a project that's investigating terrorist movements through migration routes throughout the world. I'm also working on a personal project that's investigating the effects of drought on extremist activities in Africa.
4) How is the internship experience relevant to your studies in Geographical Sciences?
My current GIS internship has enabled me to apply the skills that I've learned in the classroom to real world problems. Although my classes have provided me with fundamental skills, it has been my internship that has facilitated the most growth in my analytical skills.
5) What are your career goals after your graduate?
Following my graduation I hope to move west and to work in consulting.